Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Southeast guide convicted of shrimping violations

From the Alaska State Troopers:

Location: Sitka
Type: Update — conviction
On 4/2/10 Kurt J. Whitehead, 39, of Klawock, pled guilty in Sitka District Court to two counts of sportfish guide assisting a client in a violation. Whitehead was fined $1,500 with $500 suspended on each count. In addition, he was placed on probation for two years and the shrimp pot gear used in the violation was forfeited to the state of Alaska. The charges were the result of an investigation beginning in June 2009 by the Alaska Wildlife Troopers during which it was discovered that Whitehead was providing sportfish guide service to two clients who operated shrimp pots from his vessel and used shrimp pot gear which had no biodegradable escape mechanism and in which he was using prohibited species as bait.

2 comments:

  1. Kurt is a first class guy and I am sure this was just a small oversight on his part. I'm not sure why this needed to be posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a person who makes a living off of the land, I know that my stewardship is to provide for the future. I can say that not everything I have done is right, but have never been publically humiliated. I have learned from my mistakes without a public flogging, and take my stewardship seriously. I know Kurt to be an honorable person, with great concerns for the future of the seas-a place that he has chosen to make a living. I know I am sorry for his mistake, but even more sorry for the publicity over his mistake. Hang in there Kurt!

    ReplyDelete