Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Crab skipper, crew in a pinch over small Tanners

From the Alaska State Troopers:

Location: Hoonah
Type: Undersized Tanner crab
On 2/25/11 Hoonah Wildlife Troopers cited 23-year-old Juneau resident and permit holder Barry Moala, who was taking undersized Tanner crab aboard the F/V Lovey Joann. Troopers also cited four crewmen: David Hammonds, Carling Cadiente, George Lindoff and Norval Nelson III. During the offloading of the crab, troopers discovered that 99 crab were undersized, which equated to approximately 12.6 percent of the vessel's load of Tanner crab. An arraignment date is set for March 9 in Hoonah District Court.

1 comment:

  1. Innocent till proven guilty _ After being left this alluminum ?titannium measuring stick from state troopers inwhich the stick was never calibrated on site while determining these crabs were illegals that you couldnt fit a hundred dollar bill inbetween the stick and crab ! I outta boredem decided to study the stick a lil closer after it sat in our warm galley as it did his pick up truck before the measuring of crab. I threw this stick in the freezer that had similar temps as the onsite off load did ! After thirty minnuttes in the freezer the stick atually shrunk widening the measurements dastically from 5.5 to a larger gap . By all means I am not a scientist for if I was I definately wouldnt be out in those freezing life threating conditions . I wish these conditions were taken into consideration and been given the chance to work together and return these live crab to sea Considering the crew fought crucial freezing spray to the face along with holding on and dodging pots , bouys waves etc. Note again my fingers are crossed here and I am no scientist but at the same time Id never condone the taking of illegal crab . All though id voulantarily put my ticket next to my 85 yr old grand fathers ticket he recieved for innocently registering his vessel for Brown king crab during the off load of his tanners . He to I can contest would never intentionally go beyond regulations for his financial gain ABSURD ! SCIENCE @ SEA < QUADRUPLE N

    ReplyDelete